Faculty and Staff


Faculty and Staff are often a first point of contact for students facing an issue. The links below are common situations that we discuss with students or make referals for within the Dean of Students Office and in Student Affairs.

A. Summary of common issues seen in Student Assistance and the Office of Student Conduct:

Information on the roles and responsibilities for students, staff and faculty/academic departments, and the Office of Student Conduct and Student Assistance around various issues is available at this link:


B. Referring a student to the Office of Student Conduct for suspected Academic Misconduct or Academic Dishonesty?

Information about Academic Misconduct


The Iowa State University Faculty senate has established procedures for addressing and reporting incidents of academic misconduct in the classroom. The following six-steps are a basic outline of what is recommended. Faculty members who have questions regarding the student disciplinary process and the reporting procedures can refer to these procedures.

  1. Arrange for an opportunity to meet with the student and discuss your conclusions.
  2. Allow the student to provide their side of the story, and ask if they admit or deny responsibility for the misconduct.
  3. If they deny responsibility, do not yet assign a grade for the assignment or course (leave grade as N for grade processing).
  4. If they admit the misconduct, you may assign a grade according to your discretion and what you may have outlined in your syllabus.
  5. Refer the case and information to the Dean of Students Office, including related materials such as emails, exams, essays, & websites.
  6. When an outcome is determined by the Dean of Students Office, you will be notified and apprised of the conclusions.

Memo Template for referring cases of Academic Misconduct to the Dean of Students & Office of Student Conduct:


Email the referral to skellogg@iastate.edu, or send via campus mail to: Office of Student Conduct, 1010 Student Services Building.

C. Information about the withdrawal process:

If a student discusses the need for withdrawal with you - refer them to their advisor.

D. Information about filing an academic/grade grievance:

If a student wishes to pursue an academic/grade grievance, this process is facilitated through the college of the course.

E. Information on the Classroom Disruption Policy:

The best resource for information for faculty on the Classroom Disruption Policy is the Faculty Handbook.

F. Information about the Office of Student Assistance and Outreach in the Dean of Students Office:

The Office of Student Assistance and Outreach within the Dean of Students Office can provide assistance and outreach to students that might be dealing with some crisis or difficult situation. If you are unsure of what/when to make a referral to Student Assistance, please (515) 294-1020, to discuss the issue and/or your concerns. The Student Assistance and Outreach website has additional information.