The Office of Student Conduct promotes the personal responsibility and accountability of students in support of the overall educational mission of the University through collaborative engagement with staff, faculty and students, and enforcement of the Student Code of Conduct.
We envision a healthy, learning-centered, civil, and inclusive community where all members are invested in personal and collective excellence for the betterment of self, others, and community.
The student conduct process balances the needs and rights of students with the needs and expectations of the University and larger community. The student conduct process addresses allegations of misconduct through a continuum from informal responses to formal adjudication. Students are treated with care and respect while being afforded the opportunity to share their experience and perspective and receive an objective and fair process. Sanctions and interventions are designed to be educational and restorative in nature, promoting the University’s mission, and the Principles of Community.
Iowa State University students are responsible for knowing the information, policies and procedures outlined in Student Code of Conduct. The University reserves the right to make changes to this code as necessary and once those changes are posted online, they are in effect.
- Review, develop, and enforce policies and procedures in support of a robust, student-centered learning environment, as aligned with the principles and legal standards of the University, Division, and profession.
- Equitably administer the student disciplinary process and procedures to address student conduct.
- Provide programs and services aimed at increasing awareness among students, faculty and staff of the Student Code of Conduct and other relevant policies and regulations related to student conduct, and that strive to minimize conduct violations.
- Engage students through interventions that encourage self-reflection, accountability, healthy decision-making, and contribute to an enhanced educational experience, in support of student retention and success.
Learning Outcomes for students engaging with the Office of Student Conduct
- Students will know where to locate the Student Code of Conduct that outlines student behavioral expectations.
- Students will be able to articulate and understanding of the student disciplinary process.
- Students will be able to describe the implications of their conduct for themselves and others.
- Students will be able to reflect on and articulate incongruence between their values and decision-making.
- Students will be able to identify resources available to them to promote future success.
- Students will be able to articulate strategies or skills they can use to avoid future violation of the Student Code of Conduct.
2505 Union Drive
1010 Student Services Building
Ames, IA 50011
Staff are available Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm during the academic year and 7:30am - 4:00pm during summer and breaks.
Sara Kellogg, Associate Dean of Students for Strategic Partnerships, Operations, and Compliance & Director of Student Conduct
Liz Luiken, Assistant Director