Academic Misconduct

Student Resources Faculty Reporting Form Faculty/Staff Resources



Faculty/Staff Resources

The following six-steps are a basic outline of what is recommended for faculty members who believe students have engaged in academic or research misconduct. Faculty members who have questions regarding the student disciplinary process and the reporting procedures can refer to these procedures.

  1. Arrange for an opportunity to meet with the student and discuss your conclusions.
  2. Allow the student to provide their side of the story, and ask if they admit or deny responsibility for the misconduct.
  3. If they deny responsibility, do not yet assign a grade for the assignment or course (leave grade as N for grade processing).
  4. If they admit the misconduct, you may assign a grade according to your discretion and what you may have outlined in your syllabus.
  5. Refer the case and information to the Dean of Students Office, including related materials such as emails, exams, essays, & websites.
  6. When an outcome is determined by the Dean of Students Office, you will be notified and apprised of the conclusions.

Any questions regarding the referral process may be directed to the Office of Student Conduct at (515) 294-1020 or 

Faculty are encouraged to provide information in their syllabus regarding expectations related to coursework completion, academic integrity and the academic/grade consequences for students who complete their work dishonestly. CELT and the Office of Student Conduct have created sample syllabus statements:

The Office of Student Conduct has created a number of resources for faculty and students related to academic integrity and the student conduct process. To view classroom resources, including videos and the faculty staff resource guide, visit:

The following information and processes may be helpful for faculty and staff as they work with students.

  • Information about the withdrawal process: If a student discusses the need for withdrawal with you, refer them to their advisor.
  • Information about filing an academic/grade grievance: If a student wishes to pursue an academic/grade grievance, this process is facilitated through the college of the course.
  • Information on the Classroom Disruption Policy: The best resource for information for faculty on the Classroom Disruption Policy is the Faculty Handbook. CELT also provides information Managing Disruptive Conduct in Learning Spaces.
  • Information about the Office of Student Assistance in the Dean of Students Office: The Office of Student Assistance within the Dean of Students Office can provide assistance and outreach to students that might be dealing with some crisis or difficult situation. If you are unsure of what/when to make a referral to Student Assistance, please (515) 294-1020, to discuss the issue and/or your concerns. The Student Assistance website has additional information.

There are a number of academic resources available to help students succeed academically including the following: